Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Superfood Smoothie


This morning I needed a lift in energy, so I made this protein rich, antioxidant rich, power smoothie. I used a little of a lot of things. This recipe includes many superfoods, which pack a lot nutrients in a tiny wallop. Superfoods have a high nutrient density score, meaning that the ratio of micronutrients is high to the calories of the food, which is low. For instance, goji berries have few calories but more antioxidants for those calories than another food. ( A great cookbook for this sort of information is Superfood Cuisine by Julie Morris)

Now, a lot of food is called superfood that isn't, in my opinion. It'a a term being used broadly these days. Navitas Naturals is a line of superfoods you can trust. Everything they call a superfood really is. They are a trusted source of good information, they have a great website, and their products are a must-have in my kitchen. You might think they are pricey, which they are, but given the small amounts of each superfood you need, the products go a long way. It's worth the investment, believe me.

The superfoods used in this recipe are cacao powder and paste, goji berries, lacuma and maca powders, Irish moss and/or chia seed, flaxseed,  hemp seed, sesame seeds, and green powders. What did I tell you? Chock-full of good stuff.

I almost hesitate to post a pic because the color of the smoothie might not entice you, but I hope you'll try it for the life-force it contains. I just ate half of mine, and I feel better already. In fact, it is so rich in power I could only eat half. I'll have the rest after my dance class. And I'm looking forward to it.




1 c. filtered water
1/2 avocado (or 1 banana)
1/4 c. shredded coconut
1/4 c. sesame seeds
5 medjool dates
3 T. goji berries
2 T. vanilla creme (see meringue recipe for lemon meringue pie)
2 T. Navitas Naturals Cacao Paste shaved
2 small scoops of Amazing Foods Chocolate Green Superfood Powder
1 small scoop of The Amazing Trio Barley Grass, Wheat Grass, and Alfalfa Powder
1 T. hemp seeds
1 T. flax seeds
1 T. maca powder
1 T. lacuma
2 T. Irish moss paste ( or chia seeds)
1 T. cacao powder
1 tray ice cubes
(optional: agave to taste)

Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender, adding ice cubes slowly as you go. Serves two.

Use the optional agave if the taste of the green powders is too much for you, or use only one of the powders. I used both because they contained different greens, and I wanted them all. Green powders are strong, and you may need to build up a tolerance for them. Start small and work your way up.


No comments:

Post a Comment