Friday, May 31, 2013

Raspberry Ginger Fig Smoothie

I made a great smoothie this morning, but the pic doesn't do it justice. I get up at 5:30 am, and the lighting in my kitchen is never good at that hour. But I have to take the pic before I gobble down the deliciousness, so trust me, the smoothie is good, the pic not so much. Maybe I just need a new camera. I definitely need a new camera.






Raspberry Ginger Fig Smoothie:

3 dried figs
1 1/2 c. raspberries
2 peeled oranges
1/4 c. shredded coconut
1/4 c. coconut milk
1 1" knob of ginger
2 T. chia powder

Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender. This smoothie has a definite kick because of the ginger. Use less if you don't want it too spicy.

A note on my smoothies. Many smoothies use bananas as an ingredient. I have an intolerance to bananas, so I don't. I use avocados, chia seeds and chia powders, and Irish moss as my thickeners and binders. Avocados, like bananas,  are rich in potassium. Chia seeds and powder are rich in Omega 3's. I also happen to think chia powder taste a little like bananas when used in recipes, which might be wishful thinking. Irish moss counts as a sea vegetable, and as such, is rich in minerals. Feel free to substitute bananas anywhere you see these ingredients in my recipes.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to try this! Actually have all ingrediants in pantry.

    ReplyDelete