Thursday, May 2, 2013

Cacao Trail Mix

Here is a perfect example of what I said in my last post--that sometimes the end product doesn't look so good but tastes great. I make this trail mix regularly, but this time I put too many cacao nibs in the recipe. I usually use 1/2 cup, but when I measured that out there seemed to only be a little left in the bag, so I dumped it all in. Turned out I had about one full cup now mixed in with the nuts, goji berries, and coconut. It was too late to scoop out the extra cacao nibs. The nibs taste great in the mix. It's really got a smooth, rich chocolate flavor, but I think that visually speaking the extra nibs make it too brown. So I advise keeping the nibs to 1/2 cup. The white and red colors of the coconut and goji berries will pop out more, making for a more beautiful presentation. Trust my recipe but not my photo.  Or just eat the trail mix with your eyes closed. It is delicious in these proportions.

            
Cacao Trail Mix:

1 c. raw organic cashews
1 c. raw organic almonds
1/2 c. cacao nibs
1/2. shredded coconut or coconut flakes
1/4 c goji berries

Combine all ingredients in a bowl.

1/4 c. Navitas Naturals Cacao Power shaved in small pieces
1/4 c. coconut butter
2 T. coconut oil
2 T. agave
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. vanilla
Himalayan sea salt to taste

Melt the cacao power, coconut butter, and coconut oil in the dehydrator or by double boiler method. Whisk the agave, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt into the melted cacao power/coconut butter/coconut oil mixture. Coat the trail mix thoroughly with this liquid.

Spread the nut mix onto a dehydrator sheet and dehydrate at 105 degrees  for a few hours to make the nuts crisp again. The mixture will feel oily when you take it out of the dehydrator, but it will harden quickly in the refrigerator. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

I always keep nuts refrigerated because nuts can go rancid relatively quickly.

It will take me awhile to eat this many nuts, so it'll be some time before I make it again.  I'll post a better picture when I make it using less nibs.

No comments:

Post a Comment