Monday, May 20, 2013

Falafel

I decided to try to make some raw falafel. I've used sprouted garbanzo beans before in hummus but didn't like the sprouted taste. I love hummus made with zucchini as a substitute for garbanzos, so I no longer use the garbanzos. I had some of the chickpeas leftover from those days, so I thought I'd try something new.  Turns out I love the garbanzos in the falafel. Now, granted, it's been a long time since I've eaten anything deep-fried, but these falafel definitely gave me the taste I was attempting. They are lighter than fried falafel but still really filling without feeling  too heavy. I made a tahini dipping sauce that tasted like what I remember as the traditional dipping sauce. I also made a mango blueberry salsa to add some color to the meal. All in all, it was really delicious and satisfying.




Falafel:

1 c. soaked garbanzos (also called chickpeas)
1 c. sunflower seeds finely ground in a Vitamix
1/4 c. olive oil
1/4 c. coconut amino acids
2 T. lemon juice
4 cloves garlic
2 T. cumin

Puree the garbanzos in a food processor with all the ingredients except the sunflower flour. Fold the sunflower flour into the mixture. Use an ice cream scoop to shape the falafel onto a Teflex-lined dehydrator sheet. Dehydrate at 105 degrees for at least 24 hours. It may take up to thirty hours for these.

Tahini Dipping Sauce:

1/2 c. raw organic tahini
1/4 c. coconut milk
1 or 2 cloves garlic depending on how spicy you want it
2 T. lemon juice
2 t. apple cider vinegar
Himalayan sea salt to taste

Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender.

Mango Blueberry Salsa

2 mangoes chopped
1 red bell pepper chopped
1/2 c. blueberries
1/2 c. cilantro chopped
1/4 c. pickled red onions (red onions soaked overnight in beet juice and apple cider vinegar)
2 T. lemon juice
2 t. apple cider vinegar
2 T. mustard powder
1 T. coconut nectar
1/4 t. cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss.



No comments:

Post a Comment