Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Mash It

This is my favorite so-called recipe for breakfast. I say so-called because there are lots of possible variations. Today I used blueberries, but often I use strawberries and raspberries for their brighter color. Of course, all of the berries together are the best combination. And cherries in season are delicious in this breakfast dish. This is a nutritious replacement for your kid's breakfast cereal. It's sweet, chewy, and pure-- complete with all the antioxidants so present in berries and cacao nibs. Plus it has protein from almond butter and healthy carbs for energy.

 Mash It:

1 pint blueberries
(or a mix of any berries you desire)
1/4 c. goji berries
5 medjool dates cut into small pieces
1/4 c. cacao nibs
2 to 3 T. raw organic almond butter ( the amount of almond butter depends on the quantity of berries)

Put all ingredients into a large bowl. Use a potato masher to mash all the ingredients until the almond butter is incorporated well. The berries will break down, but the cacao nibs and goji berries will stay intact. It will be not quite a creamy pudding but more like a chunky blend of amazing tastes.

You can add maca powder or any other superfruit powder to this recipe as well. Add cinnamon or vanilla, whatever you want. You could also blend it all in a blender and make a smoothie out of it, but I like the different textures. I drink a lot of smoothies for breakfast, and sometimes I want the satisfaction of chewing That's when I pull this recipe out.

The picture is prior to the mashing because it's a little better looking, but it's better tasting after mashing. I've always wanted a raw cafe, and this simple recipe would be on my breakfast menu. I don't know why, but it makes me think of bubble gum. Maybe it's because it's sweet and chewy, or maybe because I feel like a kid when I eat it.





No comments:

Post a Comment