Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Spinach Dip

I recently bought a bunch of spinach because I wanted to try it in the Avocado Mint Smoothie. Now I have a lot of spinach that I must use quickly because greens don't keep well for very long. Today I made a really simple spinach dip that I ate with crackers. The color doesn't keep well, so make small batches.



Spinach Dip:

2. c. spinach
1/2 avocado
2 t. lemon juice
1 clove garlic
Himalayan sea salt to taste

Blend all ingredients in a food processor. Serve immediately with dehydrated crackers or chips. This can also be used as a spread for raw sandwiches. It's an easy way to get more greens into your diet. Spinach is pretty versatile. I use it in smoothies, salads, juices, and tortillas. In fact, my spinach tortilla recipe is very similar to the dip recipe.

Spinach Tortillas

4 c. spinach
1/4. c. flax powder
3 T. lemon juice or lime juice
Himalayan sea salt to taste

Blend all ingredients in a food processor. Spread onto two Teflex-lined dehydrator sheets in equal portions. Dehydrate for approximately six hours at 105 degrees until tortillas are pliable.  Flip the tortillas, removing the Teflex sheet as you do this. Dehydrate another hour or until underside is the same texture as the top side. These tortillas should be flexible enough to bend. Cut into desired shape. I often score the tortilla into four quarters as I spread them onto the Teflex sheets. You can either use them in this square shape or use your food scissors to cut them into circular tortilla shapes.

I like to fill the tortillas with guacamole. My favorite is a mix of avocado, mango, and cilantro. But you can use hummus, salsa, or anything else you  might put into your familiar corn tortilla. A new twist on an old favorite.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment