Sunday, April 28, 2013

Making Food for the Week

Sunday is my favorite day to make food. I listen to great radio programs on MPR, dance in my kitchen, and make lovely food. Usually I sneak a run in there. I love to run during the radio show, "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me." Laughing while running is pretty fun. I get most of my cooking done during "Prairie Home Companion," but today I had to get an earlier start because I'm participating in an experimental dance project for the next few Sundays. The food I made will be posted over the next two days because some of it is dehydrating as I write.

Many people think raw food is too labor intensive to enjoy making, but I made all of this food in two hours. I don't think that's any more labor than any other way of eating, so don't let those fears of too much work keep you from trying raw recipes. The meal preparation isn't difficult, but it does take forethought. You have to think ahead to incorporate soak/sprout/dehydrating time. Other than soaking nuts/ seeds/ legumes overnight, raw cooking doesn't have to add a lot of time. You just have to remember to soak, but then you go about your day until soaking is done.

With that said, this morning I made three different fresh juices, two different kinds of hummus, an indulgent trail mix, kale chips, and corn chips.

I started with fresh orange juice because I had a lot of oranges to spare. Fresh orange juice or fresh coconut water is my favorite thing to drink right after a long run. It never tastes better than then.  After the orange juice, I juiced a cup of lime juice to use in various ways. I set some aside for later when I'll mix  it with passionfruit kombucha and some agave for a sparkly cocktail. The rest I used in the juices I intended to make for energy today. My favorite juice is a combination of apples and/or pears, kale and/or spinach, lime juice and ginger. Today I used spinach and apples because I needed kale for my chips. This juice makes my cells come alive. I never tire of it. Here is a pic:


Some people don't like the look of green juices, but how can you not love that color? It looks like life, itself. The sweetness of the apples, the tang of the lime, and the spice of the ginger makes the juice alive, indeed.  You'll feel the energy of instantly.

The next juice I made was similar but I substituted parsley for spinach. Parsley is a great chelator and pulls toxins out of your system. I think it tastes sweet, but most people consider it savory. I loved it in the juice. A new twist to my old favorite.

Next I moved onto my hummus. I made a regular hummus recipe and then took half of that and made a spicy red pepper hummus. Here is my recipe for today. It can change based on my taste at the time. Sometimes I use sprouted garbanzos, sometimes I use sesame seeds, mostly I use zucchini. I really love using zucchini in place of garbanzo beans. I've soaked and sprouted garbanzos for hummus, but I really notice that sprouted flavor. This hummus is lighter and airier and has more vegetables by sneaking that zucchini in there. A tip for those of you with children who balk at vegetables.



Hummus:

2 small zucchini chopped
1/2 c.  raw tahini (pureed sesame seeds)
1 or 2 T.  fresh lemon juice ( I like really tart, so I use 2 T. Adjust to your taste)
2 T. green onion (use 1 T. in recipe and the other is your garnish)
1 clove garlic
1 t. cumin
Sea salt ( I used a sea salt that had seaweed bits in it)

Mix ingredients using only 1 T. of the onions in a food processor. Garnish with remaining 1 T. green onion. You can stop here if you only want a regular hummus. Serve with crackers or chips or use as a sandwich spread.

To make Spicy Red Pepper Hummus: 

Take one half of the above recipe and put back in food processor. Add 1/2 chopped red bell pepper, 2 more T. of tahini, and a dried cayenne pepper. Mix ingredients. Note: the red pepper thins the hummus out and the tahini will add back some bulk. Garnish with crushed cayenne and use as above.

Tomorrow I'll post my corn chips, provided they dehydrate well. Dehydrating isn't an exact science. Sometimes I not home at the perfect moment to remove the trays, so things over-dehydrate. Or sometimes I'm asleep in those early morning hours when the time is right.  But mostly it works out.  Luckily chips need to be crisp.

Please see previous post for kale chip recipe. Today I did a jalapeno cheesy kale. You can make variations on the recipe I posted earlier. Just use the cashew base and add your favorite spices or peppers.

Until tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment