Friday, April 26, 2013

Jicama Salad and Waldorf Salad

Today I had to quickly put together a light meal for my best friend who was coming over. I made two light salads and a dessert, which I'll post tomorrow when I have more time.  I was using up stuff I had that needed to be used.  I came up with this Jicama Salad that almost looks like a potato salad but has a very satisfying crunch.

I originally got the idea for a raw Waldorf salad from Alissa Cohen's Raw Food for Everyone. I modified the idea to fit my own tastes. Waldorf salad ingredients are pretty standard, usually consisting of apples, celery, raisins, and walnuts. I was inspired to add coconut. The dressing for the Waldorf is a riff off of Cohen's recipe, though, in the end, it isn't really anything close to it.

In the end, the two salads look a lot alike, but the tastes are very different. The Jicama is a savory salad, and the Waldorf is sweet. I hardly needed dessert, but I feel no meal is complete without it. Both of these salads are great for the summer. And today it finally feels like summer is on its way. My doors are open, the windows are open, the sun is shining, and the birds are singing. It's a good day to make and share a meal.


 Jicama Salad

 Salad:
1 large jicama
1 c. corn  kernels (frozen is fine if fresh isn't available)
2 stalks celery chopped
2 small carrots chopped
1/2 red bell pepper chopped
2 T. red onion finely chopped

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside.

Dressing:
1 avocado
1/4 c. olive oil
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
2 T. tahini
1 T. lemon juice
1 jalapeno pepper
2 t. celery salt
Himalayan sea salt to taste

Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender. Pour over salad ingredients and toss. Serve and enjoy.



Waldorf Salad

Salad:

4 apples chopped
1 c. raisins
1/4 c. shredded coconut
1/4 c. walnuts
2 stalks celery chopped
Himalayan sea salt to taste

Combine all ingredients into a bowl. Set aside.

Dressing:

1/2 c. coconut milk
1/2 avocado
1/4 c. olive oil
1 T. apple cider vinegar
1 t. lemon juice
1 t. fresh ginger
Himalayan sea salt

Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender. Pour over salad mixture and toss. Serve and enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment