Friday, April 26, 2013

Mango Coconut Cardamom Cheesecake

Ok, here is the dessert I promised. I used the recipe from www.sweetlyraw.com. I modified the coconut drizzle and used dried mulberries instead of jakfruit, which I didn't have. Mulberries and jakfruit are in the same family, so it seemed logical. This dessert is so creamy and delightful. It's actually the second pie I've made in one week. I ended up giving much of the first away because it was such a hit, so I had to make it again for me. Here is the Sweetly Raw recipe as created by the great dessert chef, Heather Pace.



My attempt at Heather's Recipe
 

My Version with Modifications

Mango Coconut Cardamom Cheesecake with Jakfruit Puree by Heather Pace

Be sure to make all parts of the cake including the puree and coconut cream. If you don't have dried jakfruit you can try it with dried mango.

Crust

1/2 cup almonds
1/3 cup shredded coconut
3 medium dates, pitted
2 teaspoons coconut flour
2 teaspoons water
pinch of salt

Grind the almonds into flour in a food processor.
Add the coconut, dates, coconut flour, and salt. Process until the dates break down.
Add the water and pulse to combine.
Press the dough into the bottom of mini spring form pans or a 6" or 7" spring form pan. Set aside.

Filling

1 1/4 cup diced mango
2/3 cup cashews
2 tablespoons coconut nectar
1 1/2 tablespoons water
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla exract
3/4 -1 teaspoon cardamom
4 tablespoons mekted coconut butter
5 1/2 tablespoons melted coconut oil

Blend the mango, cashews, coconut nectar, water, lemon, vanilla, and cardamom in a high speed blender until smooth.
Add the butter and oil. Blend again briefly to incorporate.
Pour over the crust(s).
Chill in the fridge at least 8 hours, or until firm. OR chill in the freezer for a few hours and then transfer to the fridge for faster chilling time.

Coconut Cream

Make the coconut cream just before serving the cake as it will harden as it sits or chills.

2 tablespoons melted coconut butter
2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon hot water
3 drops vanilla medicine flower essence
1 drop stevia

Stir all ingredients together in a bowl. The water must be hot or it will seize the coconut butter.
Spoon the cream over the cheesecake.

Jakfruit Puree

1/3 cup packed dried jakfruit, soaked in 1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons fresh mango diced small
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 drops stevia
1 1/2 teaspoons chia seed.

Blend the jakfruit, soak water, mango, lemon, and stevia until smooth.

Ok, so that's her recipe and here are my modifications.

I made it her way the first time and loved it, but I wanted a smoother, softer coconut cream that would stay soft when I refrigerated the cheesecake. She's right when she says her version hardens. So I took 1/2 c. shredded coconut soaked in water and blended it (and water) with 2 T. melted coconut butter. I added 2 T. agave and 1/4 t.  ground vanilla and a dash of salt. Blend and pour over the cake. This is a soft drizzle and not a hard frosting.

For the jakfruit puree, I took 1/4 c. dried mulberries soaked in water and blended them with the mango, lemon juice, chia seed, and 1 T. agave. I really appreciate that Heather's recipe is light on the sweetener, but I generally get an aftertaste of stevia, regardless of the type I use. So I didn't mind a couple of tablespoons of agave in the cream and puree. Everything in moderation, right? Though I guess two cheesecakes in one week isn't really moderation, but that's why I share the love. And I'm really grateful to Heather for sharing her love of desserts with me because I get to share them with you. Try this one. It's a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment