Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Almost Seven Layer Bars

Remember those gooey, rich, decadent seven layer bars you ate when you were a kid? I remember them being full of sweetened condensed milk, chocolate and butterscotch chips, coconut, and I don't know what else.  Well, maybe people are still making them, but I haven't eaten anything like that in decades. Until now. These bars are reminiscent of those I occasionally ate as a child. Even though these are raw and definitely a better choice than the ones from my youth,  raw desserts should still be consumed with moderation. These are delicious, indulgent, and decadent, but they are also really sweet. I rarely say that as my sweet tooth is highly developed, but these did me in. So a little goes a long way. And then a little more....you know how it is...




Almost Seven Layer Bars:
Crust:
3 c. cashews ground into flour
4 medjool dates chopped
1 T. agave
1 T. coconut oil melted
1/2 t. sea salt

Pulse ingredients in a food processor until dates are incorporated.  Try not to over-process because the cashews will blend into butter. Pat into the bottom of a brownie pan.

Topping:
1 c. chopped pecans
1 c. cacao nibs
1 c. coconut flakes
1/2 c. agave or maple syrup*
1 t. vanilla
1 t. sea salt

Mix all ingredients by hand until well incorporated. Spoon on top of crust. Dehydrate at 105 degrees for about 4 hours or until warm and chewy.

*not raw


No comments:

Post a Comment