Thursday, August 1, 2013

It's Easy Being Green Smoothie

Eating your greens has never tasted to good. This smoothie is delicious. It's  inspired by Meredith's Baird, who combines really interesting flavors. I tend not to put apples in smoothies and prefer to juice them instead, but this time I gave it a whirl and loved the subtle granny smith flavor that underlies the mango flavor. This might be a new favorite combination.

I've written before about the many benefits of spinach, but let me say a few words about spirulina, which is one of my favorite hidden ingredients.  Spirulina helps to oxygenate the blood. It's also a good source of protein, which surprises many people. It actually provides most of the protein you need to live, which refutes the argument that the best source of protein is in meat, which takes days to digest. The protein of spirulina can be accessed immediately. It also helps prevent the annoying sniffling and sneezing of allergies, reinforces your immune system, helps you control high blood pressure and cholesterol, and helps protect you from cancer.  All this from such a tiny amount, usually about a teaspoon. Talk about a superfood.

I rely on spirulina when I travel to places with altitude so that I don't have to take Diamox. Along with a liquid oxygen I do well up to about 16,000 feet. That's pretty amazing to me. Now I'm not saying it will work for everyone, but it works great for me. I feel so much better not having to ingest a synthetic drug. As I just returned from another mountain trek, I used spirulina and chlorella tablets to get me through. I especially notice the benefits on those long uphills. I feel confident in the strength of my body, my lungs, and my organs when I feed myself the best sources of vitamins and minerals from the purest sources--the food itself.  Stay tuned for more on my trek in the upcoming post.


 It's Easy Being Green Smoothie:

2 c. fresh or frozen mango
2 c. spinach
1/2 c. hazelnut milk
1/2 c. coconut milk
1 granny smith apple chopped
1 lime peeled
1 t. spirulina
1 T. coconut butter

Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender. Serves 2. 

No comments:

Post a Comment