Thursday, August 22, 2013

Fresh Tomato Salad and Stuffed Figs

I was in the mood for a light dinner and was really craving tomatoes. I picked a few varieties from my little inner city garden along with some of the basil and made this tangy salad. Then for dessert I satisfied my insatiable craving for figs by topping them off with a little vanilla creme and a walnut piece. I wish I lived in a climate where I could grow figs, too. They are so luscious. They really don't need any help to be delicious, but I topped them off because I was recently at a party where figs were served with creme fraiche and walnuts.  I wanted something similar, though mine ended up sweeter and not cultured. The meal ended up having a Greek feel to it. Maybe I just think that because when I spent a month in Greece I ate a lot of tomatoes and picked figs everyday right off the trees. I've loved figs ever since. It was so amazing to me to have them available so plentifully and for free when they cost so much in the midwest. But I happily pay the price to recall that feeling of bounty. Indeed, figs make me feel abundant.

This meal is simple yet so beautiful. Food in its purest state is the most beautiful thing to me. A meal like this reminds me that we can't improve upon nature. It's already perfect and just waiting to be noticed and appreciated.  So here's my homage to Mother Nature. I hope it inspires you to notice the beauty in food grown in the earth and not manufactured in a factory.  And I hope it inspires you to live simply yet abundantly. Enjoy.







Fresh Tomato Salad:

Several tomatoes (I used a mix of large heirlooms, a few romas, and some cherry tomatoes)

Slice tomatoes into thin slices. Set side.

Dressing:

2 T. lemon juice
2 T. olive olive
2 T. of assorted olives
sea salt (optional)

Blend all ingredients together.

Garnish:
1/4 c. pinenuts
1 handful basil

Assembly: Pour dressing over tomato slices. Top with pinenuts and basil leaves. 

Stuffed Figs with Vanilla Creme and Walnuts:
1 pint organic figs
1/2 c. walnuts

Vanilla Creme:
1 cup soaked cashews
1/4 c coconut butter
1/4 c. shredded coconut
1/4 c. coconut water
3 T. coconut milk
1 T. vanilla extract or seeds of 1 vanilla bean
pinch of sea salt

Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender. 

Assembly:
Remove the stems off the figs and then cut the figs in half. Top each half with a bit of vanilla creme. Then top each half with a walnut piece.



No comments:

Post a Comment