Thursday, August 1, 2013

A Big Thanks to the Guides of Chamonix

I just returned from a two week trek around Mont Blanc, which lies where France, Italy and Switzerland meet. It was a fantastic trip for so many reasons. Of course, the mountains were glorious. They were truly what you imagine the Alps looking like--snow capped peaks and fields of wildflowers. The group I was with was also great company to view such majestic scenery. I'd specifically like to give a big thanks to the tremendous guides of Chamonix who led us on this trek. Claire, Celine, Christine, Yves, and Laetitia made this trip the best one I've been on yet.

I like to do adventure travel often, but I often struggle with eating in a way that keeps me healthy on the trail. I never expect to eat raw because eating raw in foreign countries can be a recipe for disaster on the trail. I do try to abide by the thick peel theory of fruits, but it isn't always possible to eat fresh food. On a group adventure I 'm not in control of what is available, so I have to trust my guide's understanding and translation skills. I always stay on a plant based diet, but most of the times I eat cooked vegetables because that's what is available. This trip was different, and I am so grateful to the values my French guides hold.

I was impressed with my guides knowledge of sustainable agriculture, recycling, and environmental issues in general.  Mostly I was impressed with their emphasis on whole foods, especially fresh fruits and vegetables. Every day we packed our lunches to take on the trail. These lunch spreads were the most beautiful ones I have ever experienced on a trip.  Claire and Celine did an excellent job of making sure my food was without meat, dairy and wheat. A big thanks to them both for their translation and patience. I want to specifically thank Laetitia, who went out of her way to give us organic produce and who made me delicious and colorful salads. Truly, I am so grateful to the attention she gave to my dietary needs. She was so generous with her cooking talents. Making such beautiful food wasn't even in her job description, but she spoiled me daily with food I'm still thinking about. Leatitia, thank you from the bottom of my heart for keeping me so nourished, literally and figuratively. The way to this woman's heart is definitely through her stomach. And if you ever read this blog, please send me that recipe for the hearts of palm salad.

For anyone out there who worries about travel and eating well, I highly recommend hiking the Tour de Mont Blanc with these guides. The Chamonix guides are legendary, you'll be able to find them at www.chamonix-guides.com. I went with REI Adventures who contracts with this guiding association. You will be inspired by the scenery, the dedication to the land, the challenge of the trek, and the devotion to fresh food.

I wish I had taken pictures of every lunch but I only took a few. Here's an idea of the kind of trail food we had. I'm also including a picture I find funny--it's two interpretations of eating a full colored diet. Thanks to Erin for letting me laugh at the differences between our two ideas. Erin, you're a sport.

To everyone on this trip, I hope we cross  trail paths again. It was a pleasure traveling with you. 

Lastly, thanks to Velleda for posting some of my raw recipes while I was gone and keeping this blog going.

Leatitia and her hearts of palm salad

Hemp Seed Salad

Trail food the French way

Two interpretations of eating by color--Erin's and mine

View from a nap in a field of wildflowers

No comments:

Post a Comment