Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Not Pumpkin Pumpkin Pie

I love the taste of pumpkin pie. Though I've made raw pies using fresh chopped pumpkin, the texture has been a little chunky. Matthew Kenney uses fresh squeezed carrot juice for his pumpkin pies, so I thought I'd give it a try. My recipe is similar to his with some variations. I thank him for the idea. I then added a 'whipped cream' on top, reminiscent of the cool-whip that used to be served on pumpkin pies at Thanksgiving. I give thanks I no longer think cool-whip tastes good. I'll take this version any day. And truly, it tastes better than any pumpkin pie I remember.  But then again, it's been a really long time since I've had that kind of pie. Still, my bet will always be on the pie with the freshest, truest to nature ingredients. And though I can't say I appreciate the origin of Thanksgiving, I can say I'm a fan of giving thanks to the many blessings in my life. The practice of gratitude changes lives.  In that spirit, I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving.








Not Pumpkin Pumpkin Pie

Crust:
2 c. pecans
7 medjool dates
1 T. maple syrup
pinch of sea salt

Pulse ingredients in a food processor until the nuts roll into a ball like mixture. Press mixture into a pie pan. Set aside.

Filling: 
1/2 c. soaked and drained cashews
1/2 c. maple syrup
2 T. agave
1/2 c. melted coconut oil (in dehydrator or at lowest temp in a double boiler method)
2/3 c. fresh carrot juice
1 t. vanilla
1/4 t. sea salt
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. nutmeg

Blend all ingredients, adding coconut oil last. Blend until mixture is very smooth. Pour into crust and chill in freezer overnight.

Whipped Cream:
1 oz. soaked Irish moss
3/4 c. coconut meat
1 c. coconut milk
1/2 c. soaked and drained cashews
1/4 c. agave
1 t. lemon juice
2 t. vanilla
2 t. lecithin (if using soy lecithin, please use non GMO lecithin)
1/2 c. soft coconut butter
pinch of salt

Blend all ingredients, adding lecithin and coconut butter last. Blend until smooth. Pour cream into a shallow pan and refrigerate until set. This usually takes a couple of hours. Spoon a dollop onto the pie with each piece or frost the whole pie.

Garnish with chopped pecans if desired. 

Use a warm knife to cut pie into pieces. Serve and enjoy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment