Thursday, September 5, 2013

Pecan Date Smoothie

This smoothie is luscious, rich, and indulgent. It's not something for everyday, even though I've had it the last three days because I can't get over how good it is. It's like dessert in a glass, and as such, should be enjoyed sparingly as an occasional treat.  That is, unless you are an extreme athlete and need this kind of protein power.  That, at least, is my justification for indulging in it lately. Well, that, and I really need to go grocery shopping. I needed to make something out of what I had on hand, and I always have nuts in my freezer for when I'm in a pinch. So this smoothie was the result.

Pecans contain more fat than other nuts, and I generally use them sparingly for this reason.  It's also probably why I had so many in my freezer.  But don’t let fat content fool you or completely scare you off.  Pecans are rich in numerous vitamins and minerals known for promoting various aspects of health, including manganese, copper, thiamin, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, and carotene. The health benefits from pecans are numerous. These little nuts promote digestive health and relieve constipation because of their high fiber content.  They boost heart health due to the monounsaturated fats they contain ( like oleic acid) and by inhibiting unwanted oxidation of blood lipids.  The oleic acid in the pecans also helps to decrease breast cancer risk.  Because of their high mineral content (esp. magnesium), pecans are anti-inflammatory.  Magnesium rich foods are also good for the heart and may reduce high blood pressure and the risk of stroke.  So what's a little fat when you get all these other benefits?

In addition to the above reasons to try this recipe, I think it would also make a great ice cream. Praline pecan, anyone?

And, with that, I'm off for my run.


Pecan Date Smoothie:

1 c. hemp milk (see the Chocolate Hemp Pudding post for directions on hemp milk)
2/3 c. pecans
5 medjool dates (maple syrup is also great with pecans but doesn't result in as thick of a smoothie)
1 T. chia seeds
2 t. vanilla
1/2 t. cinnamon
pinch of cardamom
pinch of Himalayan sea salt

Blend ingredients in a high-speed blender. Garnish with a dusting of cardamom. For ice cream, chill prior to putting in ice cream maker. Follow directions for your ice cream machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment