Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Coconut Spirulina Wonder

Honestly, my kitchen is pretty bare these days. I'm a little too busy to be making much food.  Things will slow down next week, but, in the meantime, I'm relying on quick, healthy, superfood combinations that give me many nutrients in small servings. This recipe uses spirulina as its star superfood.  It is of the blue-green algae variety. It is easy for the body to absorb its high micronutrient content because it doesn't contain a hard shell that the body has to break down prior to digestion. Just three grams of spirulina contain more antioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients than five servings of vegetables. Crazy, right? Spirulina is also rich in chlorophyll and helps to alkalize the body. And, believe it or not, spirulina contains 50-70% protein as well as all the essential amino acids, making it one of the best protein sources for its weight. So, in my opinion, spirulina isn't just a superfood. It's a wonder food. I mean, really, how can so much nutritional value come from this one small source. I don't know the answer to my question, but I know my body loves it. I feel energized and oxygenated when I consume high chlorophyll foods. So for a busy day, go green!



Coconut Spirulina Wonder:

1 c. shredded unsweetened coconut
1 c. coconut water
1/2 c. unsweetened coconut milk
2 limes
1 T. softened coconut butter
1 t. spirulina
1/8 t. cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of Himalayan sea salt

Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth. Garnish with a lime slice. Serves 1-2.

No comments:

Post a Comment