Thursday, March 6, 2014

Cornucopia of Delights

As I awaited the Saturday farmer's markets in Melbourne I journeyed to the smaller local produce sellers to get me through in the interim. On this particular Thursday I was in heaven. Not only was it great to buy a peach in February and have it be considered in season because of where I was, but I also found fruits I can't get in the U.S. At this particular market I found passionfruit (my favorite), mangosteen and apple custard. I've certainly used mangosteen supplements and juices, but I had never eaten a fresh one. I had also never eaten the apple custard fruit. I don't even really know if that is what it is called, but that's what the sign said, so that's what I'm calling it here.

I took my bounty back to the Nunnery where I was staying, went out to the back fire escape, and had myself a feast. While I was trying all of these delectables, someone was playing a ukelele down below on one of the hostel's patios. As the music wafted up to me on this beautiful sunny day, I indulged in a mountain of fresh fruit. It may not sound like much, but I was so happy with the richness of beautiful, colorful food and some accompanying music, that I was about to burst. Ok, a little of that feeling was from all the fruit I had consumed, but I couldn't resist. I was about to head back into freezing cold winter where many of these fruits wouldn't be in season for another six months and some would never be available to me. So I filled myself up (though I didn't eat all of this at one sitting) on local produce from Australia. It was all delicious. This day will be one of my favorite memories from my trip.

Organic market on Brunswick St.

Mangosteen upper right; passionfruit lower right

Peaches in February in season!

From left upper corner: apple custard, peaches, passionfruit, cherries, peach, mangosteen, peach, fig




No comments:

Post a Comment