Friday, January 31, 2014

Cranberry Walnut Crackers

I'm often inspired by Susan Power's recipes found at rawmazing.com.  I rarely follow a recipe but instead use them as jumping off points to make something tailored to my tastes.  I've been trying not to eat too many sweets but couldn't resist playing with some of her cracker recipes because they lean toward the sweet but don't quite feel like dessert. I'm fooling myself about the dessert part, I know, but these crackers contain protein, Omega 3's, Vitamin E and Vitamin C, manganese, biotin, and more, so sweet or not, they are good for me. And that's good enough for me.


 Cranberry Walnut Crackers:
4 c. soaked and drained walnuts
1 c. flaxmeal
2 c. fresh cranberries chopped
1 c. fresh squeezed orange juice
1/4 c. coconut nectar
5 drops vanilla stevia

Chop cranberries in a food processor. Set aside. Next, chop walnuts in the food processor using the pulse button. Make sure not to process too long because walnuts can quickly make walnut butter. Add cranberries, orange juice, coconut nectar, and vanilla stevia and mix well. Fold in the flax meal by hand.

Spread dough onto Teflex lined dehydrator sheets. Score into desired shapes. Dehydrate at 105 degrees for approximately 12 hours or until crisp.

Cranberry Orange Spread:
1 orange cut into pieces
1/2 c. shredded coconut
1 c. soaked and drained cashews
1/4 c. agave
1 c. fresh cranberries

Chop cranberries in a food processor. Set aside. Blend remaining ingredients until smooth. Pour spread into a bowl. Fold in cranberries reserving 1/4 c. to use as a garnish on each cracker.

Assembly:
Spread a tablespoon of cranberry orange spread onto each cracker. Sprinkle with a few fresh cranberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment