Saturday, April 5, 2014

Orange Pineapple Jalapeno Smoothie

This one is for the brave at heart or for those who get tired of the same old smoothie. It packs some serious heat, but I love it. Since I live in a cold climate it is sometimes hard to drink a smoothie. I don't want to be any colder than I have to be. When I feel like that I throw a hot pepper into the mix. Instant warmth. Hence, the addition of a jalapeno pepper.

Pineapple contains bromelain, which helps break down excess protein build up in the muscles. Bromelain also aids in fighting infections. Pineapple is packed with antioxidants and is a great source of Vitamin C along with the oranges in this recipe. Also rich in manganese, pineapple is good for the bones. These are only a few of pineapple's benefits but worth mentioning.

Cilantro helps pull toxins from the body, especially heavy metals.  The oils in cilantro stimulate digestion. Cilantro is also a great aid in warding off microbial or fungal infections. It has anti-inflammatory properties and strong general  antioxidant properties. It's an overall great liver tonic. Really, the benefits of cilantro are so numerous I can't list them all here, but know that this little herb packs a powerful punch.

So try this smoothie if you like a little heat. Trust me, the combination of fruit and peppers is unexpected and delightful.

 

Orange Pineapple Jalapeno Smoothie:

1 c. pineapple
3 small oranges
1 jalapeno pepper (use less if desired)
1 handful of cilantro
1/4 c. coconut water

Blend well. Serves 1-2.

No comments:

Post a Comment