Friday, October 11, 2013

Lotus Pear Tart with Fig Crust


I made this tart for a dinner with a friend who doesn't have the sweet tooth I have.  I told her I was still serving dessert because dinner isn't done until then. So I came up with this little tart using pears and figs and coconut nectar because it's less sweet than agave. I had an Asian theme to the dinner, so when thinking of something sweet that would go well, pears came to mind. I don't really even know why, but I went with it. To tie it all together, I topped the tart in dried figs in the shape of a lotus flower.  With the pears and dried figs, it's a perfect tart for fall.  It even looks like fall.


Lotus Pear Tart with Fig Crust:
Crust:
1 c. almonds soaked and dehydrated
7  dried Symrna figs with the stems cut off (these are the yellow figs)
3 medjool dates

Process all ingredients in a food process until the dough is sticky. Press into a tart shape with your hands or use a 6" quick release cake pan with removable bottom.

Filling:
1 c. soaked cashews
1/2 c. soaked macadamia nuts
2 pears (use different kinds for fun: I used a Bosc and an Asian pear)
1/4 c. coconut nectar
1 t. ginger
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. vanilla
1/3 c. coconut oil

Blend all ingredients except coconut oil until well incorporated. Add coconut oil and continue blending until mixture is smooth and creamy.  Pour into tart shell. Refrigerate for a couple of hours until filling is firm to touch.

Garnish:
1 pint dried black mission figs, each fig cut in half

When tart is set, place fig halves in a circular layered pattern resembling a lotus on the top of the tart.

Isn't she beautiful?

1 comment: